Thursday 30 October 2008

Meeting Vishy Anand In Bonn

Amidst tapeout/deadline and core partner presentation in IMEC, I was very skeptical to avail a leave to visit Bonn for the Anand versus Kramnik World Chess Championship 2008 match. After the Core Partner presentation and of course witnessing the impressive display of skills by Anand on board during the initial half of the match I had to go…and once Michele granted me the permission there was nobody stopping me. The scoreline after 7 games read 5.0-2.0 in favor of Anand and there was a possibility, an exciting opportunity to witness the crowning glory if Anand manages to draw one and win one game. It was highly probable looking at Kramnik and Anand’s current form and I was more than hopeful…

I had a pretty tough time finding a cheaper place in Bonn as there was nothing I could plan in advance. Most of places were full because of the chess event and those available were expensive for a student’s pocket. Luckily I got one but the search made me reach the venue almost 15 minutes late. Who says “Chess is a boring sport*”, the playing Hall was packed with people occupying not only seats but also stairs to watch the tussle. Moreover, I met fans from Sydney-Austalia, Boston, Washington-USA, Vancouver-Canada, (a sardar from) Bermingham-UK, India and of course a plenty from all over europe. I am sure Russians must be present in numbers as well. All of them have traveled all the way to experience the championship event. Needless to say, Chess may turn into a morbid habit, a very addictive sport.

Game 8 was average (by their standards of curse) ending up in a draw after perpetual checks. Looking into his current position, I expected Kramnik to go all out. But, instead of exploring his chances with g3 he adopted to sign truce and Anand readily accepted. During the match, I could spot Anand’s wife Aruna sitting on the Team chairs. His second GMs (Peter Heine Nielsen, Rustam Kasimdzhanov, Radoslav Wojtaszek, Surya Shekhar Ganguly) were missing and they were missing during all the matches except the last one. Aruna has a very homely look. A looks that one desi has on offer to another desi outside India, surely in Europe. First eyes meet each other…then both the parties go into deep thinking whether to smile or not….and in a process half smile is rendered on the face. Later at the press conference, I was looking for an opportunity for Anand’s autograph. After all, I was carrying my own chess board all the way to Bonn for this. I would require to catch the train immediately after the next game (game 9) so there was only a remote possibility that I could get his autograph. They even did not allow cameras to be taken inside the playing hall. This was ridicules and my enthu was down. My canon was not worth a penny. I neither had an autograph nor photograph of the champions. GM analysis that was running parallel to the match was also in Deutsch. C’mon FIDE this is not a German championship but a World championship and there should be something more for the amateur spectators. While talking to Frank, a veteran Desperado-Leuven, I was informed that during last Kramnik versus Deep Fritz match they had provided head phones and spectators could choose the language they prefer to listen to the analysis. Disappointed and dejected I came out of the hall after the match and headed for the Bonn City Centre.

After roaming a bit near the University area I was looking for a nice restaurant near city centre. On the way there was “Ichiban Noodle Bar” ….looked decent…..not that expensive as well but I was more interested in an Italian cuisine that day and decided to explore a bit more. As I walked further, I saw a bunch crossing the road and could spot Aruna again. The same homely look was on offer….surprisingly, I could not spot Anand….may be I am too much used to see him only in official NIIT or AMD attire or he had camouflaged himself in a blue track and a red T-shirt. They walked past behind me and I continued my search for a nice place to call it a day. I found nothing decent as decided to head back to the Noodle Bar and through the glass panes I could view Anand and his team were occupying the table inside the restaurant. So, this has to be the place for dinner today. I have to get autographs as well. I checked out. I had the chess board but shit… shit… I am never gonna improve. I had forgotten the marker pen that could write on the chessboard in the hurry to reach the playing venue in the afternoon. Instead I had 2-3 usual pens which were not worth a penny. I remembered having passed a copier shop a while ago. I had to try my luck now. I ran to the copier shop but this is Europe man…shops close at 19:00 at most 20:00 and it was almost 20:30 and heavens should have been with me to get me a pen. Shop was indeed closed but lucky enough I found a guy inside the shop. I knocked and he gestured to me that the shop is closed and I better turn tomorrow. I persisted and suggested him that it’s very very urgent as there is somebody as big as BALLACK outside whom I would like to autograph and badly require a marker pen. Probably listening to BALLACK’s name he was pleased and gave me a pen. I rushed back to the restaurant and went to the table requesting an autograph. It was very odd for me. Dunno why…..call it inhibition or whatever I just get cocooned when confront big personalities. Same thing happened to me when I went to the Indian dressing room @ IIT-M chemplast. When Sachin came back from the field I was stunned, awed, mesmerized whatever you call it….may be a mixture of all these….may be more. I hesitated to even ask him for an autograph. Stupidly, I thought he must have been tired….why to bother him and so on….sounds so stupid….but it’s true. To my ecstasy, Anand signed my chessboard. I requested his seconds to sign as well. They signed too….Mrs. Anand hesitated….She said no no no….I won’t like to sign. I did not persist. I wished him all the luck for the match and occupied another table. While munching plater of Noodles I kept watching the players all the time. While returning Anand returned me a smile….a smile I would never forget…..a smile that made my evening, my day, my Diwali!!!



My Chessboard with e4 signed to Vishy; e2 is belongs to Peter; d5 e6 have been occupied by Radek and Rustam respectively; GM Surya is missing....

During the next game, I could smuggle my Canon inside the hall to take photos (http://picasaweb.google.com/guruprasad.katti/WorldChessChampionship2008_Bonn#) of the champions. As Mario Puzo says in Godfather Man has to make at least one crime to be successful. True Indeed.

____________________________________________________________________

* There are people arguing Chess is not at all a sport. I ignore paying heed to their ignorance and thank almighty for enabling me appreciating the beauty of the game. As one of the legends Anatoly Karpov puts “Chess is an Art, Science and a Sport.” What more you care in the world.

10 comments:

Ganesh Shamnur said...

Guru dada,

Fundooo article banadiya apne experience ko ...
Thanks for the virtual mini-tour I went through.
Have gr8 fun Sir.. :-)

Best Regards,
Ganesh Shamnur

Unknown said...

Hi Guru,

Its really nice to read such a great article..

Great work..and keep it up..

Guru always rocking..

Regards
Ram

Unknown said...

Hii Guru,

Great !!! Nice article guru..its simply superab and a great article..

Great work buddy and keep up the good work..

Guru is rocking as always...we all miss you here

Regards
Ram

Unknown said...

Dear Guru...

Thanks for sharing such a wonderful experience with us...

Unknown said...

Sahi Hai Guru bhai......

Peru said...

you are an ardent fan of sports, unlike me, attending all important events, cricket, tennis, chess.. what next? :)

i wonder why chess is not included in olympics. one gold wud be sure for india.

Guru De Fundae said...

Peru,

Next in the line is Wimbledon, if I get lucky with the tickets.

Well, Chess is gaining momentum in India for sure but we are yet far far away from dominating the world chess scene. We now have around 16-17 GMs while Russia has 160-170....only 10 fold. Anand is a World Champion and might secure a medal in individual category if Chess becomes as Olympic sport. In team event though we'll have tough time securing gold. What's interesting is to see how Indian Chess team plays at the forthcoming Olympiad. Time will tell if they finish on the podium. Anand may not be playing Olympiad though.

There is a lot of effort being put by FIDE to make Chess an Olympic sport. In fact, Anand also played an exhibition match @ Sydney Olympics.

Guru De Fundae said...

Ramu,

I miss you guys (and National food...don't laugh)too. How is National Semiconductor University, Bangalore :-) :-) :-)

I wish I would also have gone for graduation from there. How about Cricket scene?? Are you guys playing on weekends?? TT must be in full swing as usual.

Take care and keep mailing,
Guru

Mandar Joshi said...

Solid Guru,
From your past encounters with the chosen one's (Sachin / Vishy / Nadal)

Now you are shaping as a legend for us.

Jase Pandharichi vari karnaryanche pay dhartat tase tula ata yachi dehi yachi dola baghavese vatu lagle ahe..

lage raho... likhte raho..

pranjali said...

Hi Rohit,

Awesome article ....I enjoyed Chetan Bhagat's article and now your's.
Thanks for this.
U r a great writer yaar!

Anyways keep writing..

Regards
Pranjali

/* Tracking The Web page through Google Analytics */