Sunday 22 February 2009

Extraordinary Cedric!!!

When I showed the photo of Alps in the last blog to Cedric, my colleague in IMEC, he queried,"From where did you take this picture?" "From Flight..what more can I say?" I said. "No...No...No...Where was your flight when you took this picture of Alps?" Cedric. "Dunno...", me. I was flying from Zurich to Bombay and had the least idea of where my flight was when I took the picture. After freshening up in the flight and a glass of wine at your disposal, why would you care where you are...

"I think this is the Alps in Austria", Cedric. I was stunned. He could look into the deserted picture of Alps taken from miles above and claim the picture is of Austrian Alps...I was stumped, stunned and looked up to him with an unbelieving look again. "How come you make that conclusion?", My curiosity arouse. Cedric said let's see, it's my guess and opened google maps. After a couple of clicks here and there he came to a point where we could see the lakes in the map that could be identified in the picture. The map and the pictures looked very same. He could convince me....I had to be convinced. The map and the picture looked so similar. Moreover, I was sitting of the left side window of the plane and was traveling east so the view was indeed towards north. BRAVO!!! When I asked him how does he acquired this skill. his response was that he likes to be on the mountains and whenever he is on the peaks, he enjoys to spot what is below and far from the place. Also, certain ranges in the Alps are quite identifiable....so simple, isn't it?

Later, while writing this blog I tried to look for the spot in the map myself. Unfortunately, pictures in the map have changed. What used to be snow clad mountains are now barren and I take it as an excuse for not identifying the spot precisely. Albeit, I have done my best to identify the spot myself and here is the satellite picture of the spot. The lake shape looks quite similar and I guess I am spot on. But Cedric, spotting this itself was not easy...at least not for me. "Hats Off to you!!!"



Satellite Image

Terrain

No comments:

/* Tracking The Web page through Google Analytics */