Saturday 28 March 2009

Thou art thy master!!!

"Some inspirations/motivations/learnings come from very close while some come from too far", said Amartya Sen. To my experience some incidents, knowingly or unknowingly teach you a lot. These occurrences are usually rare but they do get registered in your memory for long. One such incidence occurred in IMEC elevators.

There is something about my job that I am always in the company of biggies and I have had no reason to be uncomfortable about it. In National Semiconductor's (NatSem) office in Leela Palace-Bangalore, I was sitting next to Managing Director's cubicle. In Natsem's brunton office, my cubicle was next to the MD again. In IMEC, my cubicle is on the 4th floor of IMEC-1, where most of the management brass along with IMEC's CEO has an office. You do have a chance to interact with some of these folks, most of the time in an elevator. Usually I take an elevator to go down and stairs to go up (quite a fitness buff these days) but on this particular day I had a box in my hand and decided to take an elevator to go up. One of the Fab serviceman (may be around 55) in a blue uniform was already inside. Seeing the my hands full he quipped, "Which floor?" "4th Floor, Thank you." I said. "Oh, You are one of those big influential staffs sitting on the 4th floor?" He responded. I started laughing and explaining him that I am one of the plentiful PhDs enjoying good times in IMEC. I have very few powers to steer the way things are done here (or anywhere) and I am very far from those who are really influential in spending big money to steer next generation technology and I have no control whatsoever on these things. After listening to all my blah blah blah....he bamboozled me with a single sentence/question, "Aren't you a master of yourself?" and walked away on the 2nd floor that links to 200mm fab...

So deep and so profound indeed. I was very much stunned and was very happy reflecting upon the incident. Sadly though, I have never been able to see him again. I hope the day comes soon....

1 comment:

Preeti said...

very well said, indeed :)

/* Tracking The Web page through Google Analytics */