Monday 12 October 2009

A Taste Of India...

If Indian cuisine is considered the crown of the world cuisine, Punjabi cuisine could easily be the shining stone demonstrating its glory. The reason why Punjooo food is so popular across the length and breadth of India and places abroad, in my opinion, are the delicious variety of Parathas it offers. From Kashmir* to Kanyakumari and from the Run of Kutch to the Bay of Bengal, everybody craves for them and can go places to hog on them. Where I have had the most delicious Parathas? Well, it's a difficult question to answer but probably the Parathawali Gali near Chandani Chawk and the roadside ones next to IIT-D gate in Delhi are etched in my memory for a long long time. But obviously the list goes on and on...

To me, Akhil certainly is a veteran Paratha expert in Leuven and in addition to Parathas what I love the most is the vintage tomato chutney he prepares. Both these things go so wonderfully well together. Sukhi almost makes them single handedly (guess with left hand) and my new neighbor Amrit is as adept as anybody can get at the art. Taking a cue from all, we decided to give a shot at making Parathas at my new place. Being the tutor, it was natural that Amrit's Parathas were superb. I was awestruck though, when I saw my first Paratha slowly but surely took the shape of a circle. Well, almost circular :)

Guru's First Paratha

Lasnachi Koshimbir (Garlic n Curd), a Maharashtrian delicasy learnt at Millionaire's place in Leeds also went very well with the Punjooo Parathas. Tamil delicacy Pachadi (composed of ginger and curd) that Sandeep prepares should also go well. Isn't it wonderful the way cuisines from different parts of the India come together and result in what could be termed A Taste Of India...

__________________________________
* Sagnik wants Kashmir to be replaced by Kathmandu in the present context. Reason: Amrit hails from kathmandu.

11 comments:

sprightly said...

Damn! I am in clean room since morning! No lunch, no breakfast, nothing. And then to read this and see the photo while waiting for the stupidest experiment in the world to finish = torture of the higest order!

:-(

But, I could still cough up a word for you: BRAVO! :-)

Ashwin said...

machan call me next time u make something like this da

Unknown said...

Texture looks quite good. Carry on.....

sagnik said...

apna parantha famous ho gaya!!!!!!!!!!

Noorjahan Jagalur Basheer/ Noorie said...

Looks absolutely mouth watering !!! Hope I get a taste of India when i visit Leuven next time :)

amrit said...

Indeed, the cozy learning always give a pleasant sort of joy for the things learnt for the first time, ask me for the bicycle I learnt to ride recently!!!

"For pharmaceutical Scientist, it is commonly said that the person who is good in kitchen could also be good in formulation of Tablet, Capsules and a lot precious-stuffs!!"
so, there you go!!

Sandy said...

sahi debut...:) agli baar saath mein banaate hain guru bhai...! suddenly feeling very hungry...:(((

Peru said...

i was abt to leave for my dinner just b4 i dropped by here. mmmmm... looks to be tasty in pic, but actually how?? ;)

ok, let me go have my share of it (i meant dinner, not paratha ;))

sprightly said...

also guru...

ithna bhi bhurra nahi hai ;-)

Guru De Fundae said...

Thanks all for the comments.

Sandeep/Ashwin/Hari(s):
Here is the plan. Sandeep to arrange for the day. Venue: Sandeep's place. Me to cook and all to eat. sounds like a good plan.

Noorie: You can join too...

Peru: It was indeed very delicious. I wish I could post it to Singapore :)

Amrit: By your logic, as an electrical engineer, I should be cooking only using Microwave :-(

Guru De Fundae said...

No wonder that Parathawali Gali is one of the most talked about place in Delhi:
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/
city/delhi/Nehru-to-Salman-Visiting-
Delhis-parantha-paradise/articleshow/
5175602.cms

and the variety of Paratha offered, Oh, Unimaginable!!!

/* Tracking The Web page through Google Analytics */