Monday 21 December 2009

Leuven 'O Leuven!!!

As you dream for tomorrow, you miss today.
As you look far, you miss the things close to you.

In between traveling around Europe, I get a feeling I have almost overlooked the beauty of the very town I stay, Leuven - beautiful Leuven 'O Leuven. In fact, people from all over come to visit Leuven, which I used to find very funny. But no more!!! These glittering christmas lights are for sure a testimony of the fact that Leuven is indeed beautiful and once in Belgium one should visit Leuven.

Last year I had only a hint of Leuven gearing up for Christmas but had very little time capturing it through the lenses. Only Last night before departing to India, I decided to give a skip to (much desired) sleep and went to Leuven Centre to capture the town in the wee hours of morning. Here are a few images:

Glittering Leuven City Hall - It's a very artistic structure with a lot of art work all over. A must see when you are in Leuven. Looks like the town never sleeps during Christmas...


Glittering facade of the city hall

Oud Markt - I was informed that this is judged as the largest pub in the world


A Glittering Christmas Tree

City of Leuven has plenty of statues. This one right at the Leuven Center depicts a KUL student in my opinion and you can see the beer flowing while reading equations? Well, there are actual equation inscribed in the book he holds. Have a look if you haven't so far...

Update:

KU Leuven Library Building. I was informed that it's a renaissance style of architecture.
This photo is taken on one fine evening in 2009.

5 comments:

Ashwin said...

we needs picas of bondgenotenlaan. it looks amazing :)

Guru De Fundae said...

Indeed!!! but it was not lit in the wee hours of morning.

Also, missing is the beautiful Central Library building. I could not go that far as I had a flight to catch in the morning :-(

Noorjahan Jagalur Basheer/ Noorie said...

Only two words describe your Christmas decorated city hall: Simply superb.

Have a pleasant trip back home.

Peru said...

City Hall looks beautiful!
Btw, have a nice time there at India :)

Guru De Fundae said...

Thank Noorie and Peru,

These are file photos from the last year. This year the decoration is similar. 'll visit to capture the views today.

BTW, my plans to visit India are not yet set. Glimpses like these last year have lured me to spend (at least one) Christmas in Europe. Luckily this is that very year when I am here and guess what it has been a stunning WHITE CHRISTMAS!!!

/* Tracking The Web page through Google Analytics */