Friday 25 June 2010

Job Satisfaction Survey :-)

I really wonder what could be more (if I can really call?) stupid/illogical; mildly saying time consuming than Job Satisfaction Surveys. I also wonder "Who gains?" (a few HR firms?) or "Who looses?" in these time wastage games but then everything; good and not-so-good; have a purpose so the world is not going to change and there will be these surveys conducted every now and then. And then my (and many like me) expectations as an employee are also never going to change as well.

As an employee I (do and will) always desire*:
a) Salary of a CEO or equivalent;
b) Power of a president, prime minister or equivalent
c) Vacation/Travel time of a teacher or equivalent
d) Freedom of a freelance journalist/blogger or equivalent
+
f) Fame of a sports/movie star or equivalent
...
....
......

And as an employee I (am and will) always likely to get:
a) Salary of a teacher or equivalent
b) Power of a freelance Journalist/blogger --> You can write whatever but does anyone care? does it really impact?
c) Fame of an un-famed or de-famed politician --> Be unheard for most of the times. Worst still, become famous for all wrong reasons.
d) Freedom of of a CEO --> Freedom given with an unambiguous and non flexible goal to stretch the stock value to a new level all the time; not to forget the 24x7 commitment.

To me, as one of my colleagues had described
JOB will always stand for "Just Obey Boss" with two universal set of rules:
Rule 1: Your boss is always right.
Rule 2: If your boss is wrong; refer to Rule 1.

The only emancipation from this vicious cycle obviously is one's own enterprise and time needs to be opportune for the same. Well, eagerly waiting for such time...

I quite very well know that I am airing the opinion just before getting into another Job Hunt :-)
___________________________________
* There was a Joke floating around on Internet encapsulating what can be termed as
The Best and Worst Life. It summed up the best life comes with
a) An American salary
b) European House
c) Chinese Food
and d) An Indian wife.

and the most avoidable combination is:
a) An Indian Salary
b) Chinese House
c) European Food
and d) An American wife

4 comments:

sprightly said...

Job satisfaction surveys are there to find out if the employees have been pushed to threshold or not. If not, more pressure could be applied on them. So, they serve an important purpose. :P

But guru, in my group, here in IMEC, they take it seriously and work on solutions which is a shocker for me! I have never seen anything like that. :-)

Guru De Fundae said...

If they offer me what I dream :-) I would be love to join your team... LoL

I have seen these kind of procedures being drawn based on survey, but have also seen them wading off in the course of time. Hopefully, it would work out for u. Keep us informed...

sprightly said...

I am like you. I don't trust such measures. But at least, its talked about seriously in group meetings. Maybe just another novel way in which to pass time?

Guru De Fundae said...

You got it dead right here...

/* Tracking The Web page through Google Analytics */