Sunday 26 July 2009

Guru with Number 10.5 @ MANU

First of all, I have to make a confession. I am well and truly a novice when it comes to Soccer/Footer/Football whatever you call it. My knowledge about the sport lasts only as much as Milkha Singh's understanding about Chess or Anand's knowhow about the complexities of Athletics. To add to that, my performance in Soccer has been equivalent to the amount of goals scored by Sachin in Hockey and runs scored by Dhanraj for Indian Cricket. Albeit being such a connoisseur, Manchester United Stadium Tour was the first thing I did when I landed in Manchester during the last long weekend. After all, I must admit, I stay amidst Soccer maniacs and have never been able to insulate myself. Did I have an option?

After having done the tour myself, I would vehemently advocate it for any sport enthusiast, even if you are not a MANU fan. There are three main parts of the tour. First is the tour of the MANU Museum which takes you through the rich history of the Club that is on its way to its Centenary Celebration next year. Second and the most exciting part is the guided Stadium tour. The guide takes you not only thorough the spectator area to have a look at the stadium but also showcases the illustrious MANU dressing room, the players dug out area giving insights into the match day rituals. The guide also parades you though the players entrance to the ground with a similar music in the background. Throughout the tour you can afford to hallucinate as if you are a top league Soccer player, if not a star. I did just that as seen in the photo below:

Yours Truly!!! Can we say Guru with No. 10.5 playing for MANU?

The most exciting thing during the tour was that there were a lot of school boys touring MANU in groups. No wonder MANU catches these guys right in their teens.

Schoolboys on a MANU tour. Wonderful!!!

MANU catches 'em young. This young?

Third and last part of the tour was the MANU Mega store where you can purchase balls, players' jourseys and other souvenirs if you like. Even if you don't, it's very much worthwhile to have to look at the whole merchandise and the amount of business that has been generated out of a single club. Given the Indian population strength and the IPL fan following world over, do not be surprized if one of the present IPL teams becomes pseudo MANU of the IPL in a decade or two. I won't be surprized for sure...





10 comments:

Hithesh gattz said...

awesome guru... u between rooney and Giggs... WOW

Guru De Fundae said...

kala akshar bhais barabar yaar...

I have seen Rooney before but never knew Giggs was such a star. caught some videos on youtube. Amazing player!!!

sprightly said...

i started reading...but felt nauseated by ManU!! You have sinned...you went to the home of the devils!

sprightly said...

giggs and to an extent beckham are the only exceptions in ManU...many have talent but zero character!

Guru De Fundae said...

Hari,

'll watch Liverpool match live to make up for the (perceived) sins done @ MANU :p

Giggs looked brilliant when I watched some snippets but Becks looks a lot publicity savvy, isn't it? To my memory, he did not perform as well as expected in World Cup either.

Why some players are aggressive than others and why some teams have aggressive culture than the rest? I have some theory about it. may be it's for another blog. but may be 'll discuss sometime over IMEC coffee...

sprightly said...

beckham at a certain point in time,esp. around his switch to real madrid,he earned more through his advertising and fashion (he is brand himself) than his weekly wages...to him public image is as impt as his performance on the pitch. Thats why he is in LA galaxy now! However over-hyped he may be,he is an icon of the game.

I forgot another MANU big name,who was the main reason for the power shift in the english game from liverpool to manu in the early 1990s- Eric Cantona- he is the MASTER. Liv did not "bother" to buy him at that time and it proved too costly!

Guru De Fundae said...

You seem to be Soccer Encyclopedia Hari :)

Most of these characters are aliens to me at least for now and I hope to gain a bit of knowledge during this season under your tutelage...

sprightly said...

I am very flattered! But, I am not as much a soccer encyclopedia as you are a cricket encyclopedia! :-)

Guru De Fundae said...

I was cricket freak once a while. used to follow it 24x7. Sadly enough, that's not the case now :(

Peru said...

be happy about it, pal, that you are no more a cricket freak ;)

/* Tracking The Web page through Google Analytics */